Phoenix, Arizona, ranks fourth within the listing of the highest 10 cities with essentially the most automobile thefts! (2004 Nationwide Insurance coverage Crime Bureau) [NICB])
In 2002, Arizona had the very best fee of auto theft in the US, with the overwhelming majority in Maricopa and Pima counties. Based on the Arizona Vehicle Theft Authority (AATA), “a automobile theft happens each 9 minutes and 16 seconds.” This causes an estimated $3.7 million financial loss for Arizona residents in 2002 alone!
Do not be one other statistic!
Assist forestall theft by etching your automobile window with traceable numbers. This process is extremely advisable by the NICB, police forces and insurance coverage corporations due to its effectiveness. Though automobile producers mark some components, it isn’t sufficient. By putting in completely seen VIN and serial numbers within the glass of your automobile, you may considerably cut back automobile theft and assist restoration.
You may go to your native auto supplier or tint/glass restore facility; or you are able to do it your self with an etching package that may be discovered on many various web sites. Along with etching glass, the NICB additionally recommends different widespread seen or audible gadgets, similar to audible alarms, steering column collars and locks, wheel locks, anti-theft decals, and automobile ID markings.
Automotive glass etching includes chemically marking the automobile with its personal distinctive Automobile Identification Quantity (VIN) on all home windows, together with sunroofs and T¬-Tops. The chemical technique of etching includes the usage of a light acid that reacts solely on the glass. By etching all glass home windows, the autos are much less needed by automobile thieves. The precise etching is small and doesn’t mark or harm the windshield, however is among the first particulars most automobile thieves see earlier than making an attempt to steal a automobile.
The advisable areas to etch embrace:
- Windshield – driver’s facet in backside nook in line with manufacturing facility VIN quantity.
- Facet home windows – backside nook, at door lock or deal with.
- Rear window – driver’s facet within the decrease nook or in the direction of the middle, decrease edge.
Listed below are the subsequent steps for the glass etching package for these useful DIY sorts:
- Clear the world to be etched with glass cleaner – Take away the blue stencils from the white backing paper and apply to the surface of the window glass within the desired locations. Gently dab the stencil together with your fingertips to ensure it comes into full contact with glass, paying particular consideration to the world the place the VIN quantity is lower into the stencil.
- Apply a layer of etching cream – brush each left and proper to utterly cowl all characters.
- After the etching cream has been utilized for five to 7 minutes: Rigorously take away all stencils and eliminate them in a plastic bag or container. Spray the etched space with plain water or glass cleaner and wipe dry with paper towels. Repeat the method for all home windows.
- Warning stickers – Apply to the within of home windows in conspicuous areas. Urged location: Close to handles on entrance doorways.
- Fill within the proof of insurance coverage “Proof of Etch”.
Nevertheless, it’s endorsed that this be completed by a licensed skilled as a result of this course of requires a really regular hand and have to be carried out below optimum situations. For instance; don’t etch glass in direct daylight on highly regarded days, when the temperature is beneath 45 levels Fahrenheit, or in very windy or moist situations.