Winch theft is a significant downside for a lot of winch homeowners, particularly should you park your rig within the yard or go away it within the Wal-Mart parking zone for a number of hours. You have invested chunk of change in your winch. Now how are you going to make sure that it does not get scammed?
Listed below are 7 methods to forestall winch theft.
- Purchase a winch lock or a security bolt lock. They forestall entry to the bolt and might solely be eliminated with a particular key. Be sure to do not lose the important thing, simply in case you ever must take away your winch!
- Weld a part of the C-channel over the bolt heads to forestall entry to the bolts.
- Weld a cap over a number of of the bolts. If you happen to ever must take away your winch to restore or exchange it, you may must grind the cap off.
- Weld the bolts and nuts collectively. Some have performed this and it labored positive; others declare that the intense warmth can weaken the bolts. So whereas it is not the most suitable choice, it is an choice. Most winch producers don’t suggest welding the bolts, as this could compromise the power of the bolts.
- Safe the winch with a cable and lock. Whereas it is not by far essentially the most safe choice, it may be sufficient to discourage the informal thief searching for a straightforward goal. On the very least, it slows down the thief and provides you a greater likelihood of catching them within the act.
- Use a winch cowl. Typically one of the best ways to keep away from getting your stuff ripped off is to maintain it out of sight. Out of sight out of thoughts.
- Take away the winch and solely put it again on when going off-road. Sound like an excessive amount of work? That’s what I assumed. But it surely’s an choice. If you happen to mount your winch with a trailer hitch as an alternative of a hard and fast winch mount, this selection sounds a bit extra real looking.
When you’ve got one other technique to shield your winch from theft, let me know within the feedback!